Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Venson publishes European motoring check list for fleets

Venson Automotive Solutions is reminding organisations to ensure their drivers have their ‘Green Card’ and other necessary paperwork before driving to the EU after 29 March 2019.

The leasing and fleet management specialist says that regardless of whether there is a deal or no deal, British drivers will most probably require a Green Card – which will replace the current European Certificate of Insurance – in order to drive in the European Union once Britain leaves Europe.

In addition, drivers may need extra paperwork to legally drive in the EU. Crucially, for businesses, drivers of leased and rented vehicles need to get a VE103B certificate from their hire or leasing company before taking a vehicle overseas. This documentation is essential to prove that the driver has permission to drive the vehicle.

Motorists may also be required to purchase an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive legally on European roads post-Brexit. There are two different types of IDP used in the EU, depending on the country being driven in, so businesses need to make sure drivers are prepared.

“Drivers need to consider a range of different issues, when it comes to driving abroad post-Brexit,” added Simon Staton, director of client management at Venson Automotive Solutions. “Hundreds of towns and cities in Europe now have environmental or Low Emission Zones, which means a UK driver needs to know their vehicle meets a range of emissions levels. It’s vital that motorists who plan to drive their company vehicle abroad at any point stay on the right side of the law.”

Furthermore in the event of no deal, it is likely that drivers will not be allowed entry to the EU, except Ireland, if their passport is within six months of expiry. This is the norm for the rest of the world, so drivers need to check their expiry date.


  • If you’re taking your company car to Europe contact your fleet manager or fleet management company to check whether you need an authority to travel form, a VE103B. Processing of the form typically takes 2 weeks.
  • Check your passport to ensure it is not within 6-months of the expiry date. If it is, it will need to be renewed.
  • Check if you need a Green Card. This replaces the current European Certificate of Insurance.
  • Even if you regularly drive abroad always check the local rules of the road before you go, as requirements can change. Visit the AA website for detailed advice.
  • Check your service schedule and if one is due make sure it’s carried out in advance of your visit to reduce the chance of expensive breakdowns while you’re abroad.
  • Check all tyres for condition, pressure and tread depth before you go. Most countries have the same requirement as the UK – a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm over the central three-quarters of the tread and around the whole circumference.
  • Before setting off on your journey make sure you have valid breakdown cover for Europe.
  • Many countries require visiting motorists to carry a safety bag. Check the AA website for country advice before you go.

For further up-to-date information about driving abroad please visit the government website.

Written by Natalie Middleton

Natalie has worked as a fleet journalist for nearly 20 years, previously as assistant editor on the former Company Car magazine before joining Fleet World in 2006. Prior to this, she worked on a range of B2B titles, including Insurance Age and Insurance Day. As Business Editor, Natalie ensures the group websites and newsletters are updated with the latest news.

842 posts